Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Citizen Services

Beginning February 3, 2014, all non-emergency citizen services will require an appointment made through our online scheduling system, which can be found hereWe ask that you please plan accordingly.  If you come to the Embassy for non-emergency services without an appointment, we will not be able to assist you.  These services include passport applications, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, notarials, federal benefits questions, or general inquiries.  American Citizens with emergency needs are not required to make an appointment. 

Welcome to the U.S. Citizen Services homepage for the United States Embassy in Rangoon, Burma. Providing services to U.S. citizens abroad is one of the most important roles of the Embassy. This website provides information on how to contact us and on the services we provide.

If you are planning travel to Burma, please take a moment to register online and to review the State Department's Country Specific Information.

Location & Service Hours

Address: 110 University Ave, Kamayut Township, Rangoon, Burma
Non-emergency hours: 2:00PM to 3:30PM (MON-FRI), except for Embassy Holidays
Phone: (951) 536-509
Fax: (95)-(1)-650-480

The Embassy is available 24 hours a day to assist U.S. citizens in emergencies. After hours, or in case of a busy signal when dialing the Consular Office phone number above, dial:

Duty Officer Phone: (95)-(9)-51-24330
24 Hour Embassy Phone: (95)-(1)-500-547


Security is always important at our Embassies and Consulates. When you visit Embassy Rangoon or our Consular Office, please bring your U.S. passport as identification. Our Embassy guards will request to see that identification. If you are a U.S. citizen that has lost your passport, try to contact the Consular Office before coming to the Embassy.

All visitors pass through a metal detector, and your bags will be scanned. Visitors may not bring liquids into the Embassy, but water fountains are available for visitors.

Important Note to all United States citizens traveling to Burma: Although many sanctions have recently been lifted, no Burmese bank accepts traveler's checks and Burmese businesses rarely have capabilities to accept credit cards. While several banks in Burma now accept limited Visa or Master Card ATM card withdrawals, we encourage foreign travelers to enter the country with enough cash to cover all expenses, including unexpected ones. Crisp USD100 bills usually are exchanged at a higher rate than lower denomination, less pristine ones. Myanmar banks are aware of the new USD100 bill design, but smaller money exchange businesses may be unfamiliar with the new bill. Please plan accordingly to ensure a smooth trip.

Going abroad? Be a Smart Traveler!

Affordable Care Act

  • What are the implications of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) for U.S. citizens residing abroad?

    U.S. citizens living abroad are generally subject to the same individual shared responsibility provision as U.S. citizens living in the United States.  Starting in 2014, the individual shared responsibility provision calls for each individual to have minimum essential coverage (“MEC”) for each month, qualify for an exemption, or make a payment when filing his or her federal income tax return.  However, U.S. citizens or residents living abroad for at least 330 days within a 12 month period are treated as having MEC during those 12 months and thus will not owe a shared responsibility payment for any of those 12 months.  Also, U.S. citizens who qualify as a bona fide resident of a foreign country for an entire taxable year are treated as having MEC for that year.

    For more information on the Affordable Care Act and on federal benefits for U.S. citizens abroad, please consult the Department of State’s web-link at