Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

The Consular Office accepts U.S. dollars only. Credit cards and other currencies are not accepted. 

U.S. Citizens should make appointments for passport renewal services online at the Embassy’s ACS Online Appointment System.  Appointments are available Monday-Friday, between 2:00 and 3:30 p.m. U.S. Citizens with emergency needs are not required to make an appointment, but should contact the Consular Section directly by phone or email (please see our contact information page). The validity of passports can no longer be extended.  If your passport has expired, or is about to expire, you must get a new one.

In non-emergency situations, passports are printed in the United States and take roughly two to three weeks from the date of the application to the date it is available for pickup at the Consular Office. During this time, you may keep your current passport.

Though in some countries certain passport services can be provided via the U.S. Embassy by mail, the Consular Office at the U.S. Embassy in Rangoon advises all U.S. citizens in Burma that, considering the unreliability of Burma’s postal system, all passport services should be conducted at the Consular Office in person. Adult passport renewals can be submitted by someone acting on the applicant’s behalf with a signed letter of authorization from the applicant and a completed, signed application form. Children must appear in person with both of their parents for child passport renewals. See the Department of State website for information on exceptions to this rule.  

Please find comprehensive guidance on passport applications at the Department of State’s website. Forms are available here.

Appointments Required

  • Beginning February 3, 2014, all non-emergency citizen services will require an appointment made through our online scheduling system, which can be found hereWe ask that you please plan accordingly.  If you come to the Embassy for non-emergency services without an appointment, we will not be able to assist you.  These services include passport applications, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, notarials, federal benefits questions, or general inquiries.  American Citizens with emergency needs are not required to make an appointment. 

Going abroad? Be a Smart Traveler!