Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question for the Consul, look below to see if it has already been answered. We welcome questions, and regularly post good questions to this site for the benefit of others. If you would like to ask the Consul a question, write to and write "Ask the Consul" in the email subject line.

Does Burma have Visa on Arrival for tourists?

Starting September 1, 2014, the Government of Burma implemented a new e-Visa program for tourists to Burma. Please refer to the Ministry of Immigration and Population website for more information:

Is it a requirement that both parents come to the Consular Office to apply for a passport for a child under 16?

Yes. As of February 1, 2008, by law, both parents must appear with the child, take an oath, and sign the child's passport application in front of a Consular Official. For children under 16 you must bring the child's birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) identifying the parents, and parents must have identification (ideally passports) for themselves.

Can I get money at the Embassy in an emergency?

Contact the Consular Office for assistance in getting funds if you run out of money while in country.

What is "travel registration" and why should I do it?

Travel Registration makes your presence in country known to the Embassy. If there is an emergency, if the Embassy issues a Warden Message, or if worried friends and family are trying to locate you through us, being registered helps. See our page on Travel Registration for more info.

How long is a Burmese tourist visa valid for an American while in Burma?

Check with Myanmar Travel and Tours (MTT), the official government tourist office for detailed information. Currently, a Burmese tourist visa is good for a 28 day stay in country, with the possibility to extend through MTT.

What can the Consular Office do if there is a dispute with a local business?

The U.S. citizen could consider hiring a local attorney. For your perusal, the Consular Section can provide a sample list of local attorneys who are known but for whom the Embassy does not advocate or vouch for their professional skills or practices. The Consular Section is not able to intervene in a business dispute. However, should both the U.S. citizen and the local business request, a Consular Officer may lend its "good offices" to attend a meeting between the two sides as a neutral observer.

I am a U.S. citizen. Will U.S. law apply to me while I am in Burma?

As in all countries, the prevailing law is determined by the host government. We strongly encourage all visiting U.S. citizens to abide by the local laws of Burma.

The Role of the U.S. Government in Arrest Cases

Get Adobe Reader

Going abroad? Be a Smart Traveler!